I am wondering if folks that interviewed and subsequently got denied due to the choosing of another candidate should ask for feedback about what they might or might not have been able to improve in an interview. It’s one of those touchy subjects where as an interviewer I’d like to help the candidates for their next opportunity by giving it but some state that it’s not appropriate and it obviously can steer you down a legally touchy path. Any thoughts on that or something your readers might be able to shed some light on?
This is a good question, I’ll throw my two cents in from both sides (interviewer and interviewee) but would LOVE to hear what you think.
As an interviewee, I have asked for feedback, and gotten no response. This was after multiple conversations before the “we really like you but we chose someone else.” It kind of miffs me because we seem to get along great before the devastating e-mail, and then communication completely ends.
It’s really annoying to, once again as a job seeker, get the cold shoulder. Especially when you are convinced that you are an absolute fit for the job!
However, as an interviewer, I remember how busy I was during this process. Really, it’s a pain to have to interview a dozen or more candidates, figure out who the best is, make offers, and all that stuff. And this, on top of my normal day job!
If a candidate did come back to me (this happened very rarely) to ask what they might have improved, I would totally want to help them out. Shoot, I like helping people and would love the opportunity to coach one of these folks, especially after they show initiative and interest in improving.
But. There is always a but. As a company representative, I would be concerned about some kind of lawsuit. I would probably share maybe 10% of what I really wanted to share, and not say the other 90%. Just to be safe, and keep the company safe. It’s really a shame, but that’s the mentallity that I have… I’m sure HR trained me on that somewhere along the line.
So, do you help and offer advice? As an interviewee, do you ask for feedback after you are rejected?
P.S. This is one of the reasons why a networking or job club is so critical. You are able to network with others in a similar situation, and the information flows freely – you’ll get plenty of advice on your interview techniques (and more!). Hopefully you can find something like Austin’s Launch Pad Job Club, Houston’s Between Jobs Ministry, or the Scottsdale Job Network.