Update on my Wife’s Surgery

August 10th, 2009

I tweeted that I was going to the hospital with my wife for surgery – it was not anything big or unplanned – we’ve known about it since a little before the baby was born.  Thanks for all of the well-wishes, prayers, thoughts, emails, etc.

The surgery was necessary (and successful) – we went in on Thursday around 11am and came home from the hospital on Saturday.  My wife is walking around (she has to four times a day to prevent blood clots), but has good medication and is resting a lot.  It’s not easy to do this with a three month old baby, but we’re doing it.

My schedule has consisted of helping with the family during the day and my wife and baby at night.  Ugh. It’s amazing how hard it is to function without having a good night’s sleep!

Luckily we have a fantastic support team around us, including a cousin who’s family was with us for a few days, my in-laws who live an hour away, and a neighbor who has taken our four oldest for most of this week.  We’ve also had friends and family who have helped with meals, etc.

My wife should feel fully recovered by around Halloween.

Thanks to everyone for your concern – tomorrow I’ll share some thoughts on how to pay for this stuff without health insurance.  We’ve learned some tricks that hopefully we won’t have to use very often :p

what where
job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search

JibberJobber is a powerful tool that lets you manage your career, from job search to relationship management to target company management (and much more). Free for life with an optional upgrade.

9 Responses to “Update on my Wife’s Surgery”

1. h0neyb says:

I’m so glad to hear the good news.. a good support team is always needed at times like this.. The best of luck to you and your family! <3

2. Michael C. Kalman says:

Glad to hear that all is as well as it can be. Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Michael

3. Juli Monroe says:

Good to hear it went well. My thoughts are with both of you! Hope you’ll be able to get more sleep soon.

4. bill says:

I’m glad that your wife is recovering well.

Re: “It’s amazing how hard it is to function without having a good night’s sleep!” — with 2 little ones, juggling work, kids, etc., both my wife and I are exhausted most of time. We found ourselves to be as fussy as the kids if we don’t get enough sleep.

Hope you’re getting some sleep. Just remember that you need to get enough rest in order to provide the best care to your loved ones. So, be “selfish” to get enough rest (hopefully) for yourself first. :-)

5. Jason, I’m glad to hear that your wife is doing better–sounds like you still have a long road ahead. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. The insurance part is tough–we’re still paying for a hospital bill from a year ago. Here’s to a good night’s sleep for all of you :)

6. Hi Jason,

Wow. Halloween? That seems so far away! I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery for your wife and extra support/help for you and the kids.

My best,
    Erin Kennedy

Professional Resume Services

7. David Armstrong says:

Hi Jason, most often in surgery there is an infusion of antibiotic, one of a few of the ingredients in the IV that began pre-op and was removed just prior to discharge. Your wife may benefit from probiotic support over the next few weeks. For some that means having yogurt in the diet. For others a probiotic supplement from the health food store would be used daily for a month. That could begin even now if she has antibiotic to take as recovery begins. The probiotics restore the flora in the gut (the antibiotic is an indiscriminate killer of bacteria – it kills the bad bacteria that would cause infection and also kills the good bacteria that support proper digestion and immunity).
    all the best,
    David

8. Rich says:

The problem with not using Tweetdeck lately is I miss news like this. My thoughts and prayers are with your and your family, Jason.

9. Kathy says:

Jason,

Sorry to learn your wife needed surgery after delivering your new baby son. Yikes! Halloween is a long way to full recovery.

But, I am glad to learn that she is recovering and that you have so much support–helping hands kind of support.

I agree with David’s reply about taking probiotics while on antibiotics. They prevent the nasty side effect of intestinal problems caused by wiping out the natural flora.

You and your family and your caregivers are all in my prayers.

All the best,