Last week I was in Nashville doing presentations at Vanderbilt’s Owen School of Management. I was seriously impressed with the building (one building dedicated to the MBA program – sweet!), campus (the trees and flowers and plants are AMAZING), career center staff (very, very competent and on first-name basis with many students; also, very involved with the student process… much more involved than I’ve seen in many other places), students (sharp, great questions, and determined) and faculty (who came to one of my workshops – extra credit for them!).
I met Jared Degnan, owner of Marketing Diner, and twitterer at Twitter.com/marketingdiner. Jared comes across as a pretty nice guy, and is well known by many of his Owen peers. If I was going up against Jared for a marketing position, I’d be nervous. Why? Because his blog and tweets talking about marketing, and social marketing, would really set him apart from his competition. Check out the tagline for Marketing Diner (below the logo):
I think it’s easy to get consumed with school, work, social life, etc. when you are in school… that’s what happened to me. But Jared is developing his own job security by establishing a foundation to his personal brand RIGHT NOW. His blog is smart, but beyond that, he’s helping future employers, clients, employees, and others in the marketing space know who he is – his professional breadth and depth. He is giving you a window into his professional capacity, and could easily be seen as a thought leader in the marketing space.
Jared wins this month’s You Get It Personal Branding award, and becomes one of the very few winners that I’ve actually met in person!
Jared Degnan, congratulations! You join a special group of professionals and have earned a coveted link from my monthly winner’s blogroll area (on the left), six months of premium JibberJobber (you can transfer/award this to someone else ), and a cyber-high five! And, a new addition to the prize list is the two hour (!!) minute recording of Blog Marketing 201 – 501 (part of the CEO Training for Me, Inc. – listed at $49.95 (but much more valuable than that!).
Feel free to post the You Get It award on your site!
Here are the past winners:
- September 2006 – ClickDave – my review
- October 2006 – Kent Blumberg – my review
- November 2006 – Heather Henricks – my review
- December 2006 – Adelino de Almeida – my review
- January 2007 – Rob Humphrey – my review
- January 2007 – Ariel Meadow Stallings – my review
- February 2007 – Mike Schaffner – my review
- March 2007 – Susan Johnston – my review
- April 2007 – Thomas Clifford – my review
- May 2007 – Rob Frankel – my review
- June 2007 – Trent Hamm – my review
- July 2007 – Katie Konrath – my review
- August 2007 – Robb Hecht – my review
- September 2007 – OOPS! I took this month off and didn’t realize it! Lucky me
- October 2007 – Tanya Ferrill – my review
- November 2007 – Sean O’Donnovan – my review
- December 2007 – Andy Shaindlin – my review
- January 2008 – Kate Herrick – my review
- February 2008 – John Halamka – my review
- March 2008 – another OOPS!
- April 2008 – another OOPS!
- May 2008 – Morty Schiller – my review
- June 2008 – Heather Gardner – my review
- July 2008 – Norm Reiss – my review