Last week I got this question from someone new to JibberJobber:
“Can you please explain the difference between the approx 20 Getting Started Videos and the 9 Orientation video series. Combined, it is over 5 hours of material – kind of daunting to learn a tool that should simplify my job search.”
Great question… we have had the Orientation videos for so long, and only added the Getting Started videos recently enough that I didn’t think about differentiating them. Here’s what they are (you can find both of these on the menu at the Videos page):
The JibberJobber Orientation is a recording of one webinar, which was split into 9 clips that are around 10 minutes each. This is the “welcome to JibberJobber” introduction, including a history of JibberJobber, and my linear idea of what you would want to know/do to get started. I expect that after going through this orientation, you would have an excellent idea of what JibberJobber is, and how it could be a great tool for you.
The Getting Started videos are recordings from 10ish minute live webinars I used to do on Friday mornings, called Focus Fridays. I would pick one topic and try to completely explain in about 10 minutes. We wouldn’t go into any other topics. After I did a bunch of these, I decided to figure out what order to put these in so a new user would get the most value out of them, and then they could watch any of them they wanted. While the Orientation (above) is a 90 minute “welcome to JibberJobber!”, the Getting Started is a buffet of topics that you can pick and choose from. Want to go deeper on Topic X, but not ready for Topic Y? Just browse through the videos on the Getting Started page and watch the topic that is most relevant to where you are at right now.
If I were just getting started on JibberJobber today, here’s what I would do:
Start to watch the Orientation, go put JibberJobber into perspective, and get an understanding of what it can do. I find the questions I commonly answer about List Panels (how to filter search results, how to add, remove, or reorder columns) are covered in the Orientation videos.
I would then just cherry-pick topics from the Getting Started list, based on what I’m ready to do in JibberJobber.
I hope this helps explain the difference. I don’t intend for anyone to watch hours and hours of videos before they get started… most people get it enough to get started, and then come back to the Getting Started as a reference tool. Here are the topics in Getting Started… which interests you the most? (click here to find these videos)
- Getting Started: Introduction (1)
- Getting Started: Overwhelmed? Watch this! (1.5)
- Getting Started: Homepage & Widgets (2)
- Getting Started: Setting Up Tags (3)
- Getting Started: Email2Log Setup (4)
- Getting Started: Email2Log Advanced (5)
- Getting Started: Log Entries and Action Items (6)
- Getting Started: Verifying Action Items and Log Entries Got In (7)
- Getting Started: Log Entries and Action Item List Panel (8)
- Getting Started: Optimizing the List Panel (9)
- Getting Started: Managing Duplicates (10)
- Getting Started: Exporting from LinkedIn (11)
- Getting Started: Importing from a CSV File (12) (entirely new design as of November 25, 2015)
- Getting Started: Recurring Action Items (13)
- Getting Started: Calendar Views (14)
- Getting Started: Interview Prep (15)
- Getting Started: Job Description Analysis (16)
- Getting Started: Events on Jobs (17)
- Getting Started: The Job Journal (18)
- Getting Started: Account and Preferences (19)
You can ALWAYS just reach out to us and ask us for help on anything you are stuck on… don’t feel like you have to watch any of these videos (although, many times we’ll reference videos or blog posts when we reply)