Fortunately spammers leave comments on really old blog posts that I have all but forgotten… and they turn my attention back to a really good post That’s how I got this post back in front of me: Job Search Tips: What I Should Have Done In The First 30 Days
This is one of my favorite posts, and a really important one. I talk about what my failed strategy included, and then what I would do now if I were to start over. In the first 30 days I would (read the post to see more explanation):
- Prepare my resume and other marketing documents,
- Find a coach or someone to hold me accountable,
- Figure out my finances and my “runway”,
- Really understand the recruiter’s role in my search (I would buy this book: How to Work with Headhunters)
- Really undersatnd the role of job boards, and not waste most of my time there,
- Network in person, even though it is hard and scary,
- Network online,
- Prepare myself mentally for a long search,
- Maintain relationships with my family,
- USE JIBBERJOBBER (of course I get to slip that one it… I’m biased, but it is still THE tool you need to use to organize it all).
In the comments there are some awesome additions. Read the entire thing here.