I’m doing some research on how to onboard yourself once you land your next job. I found this great (important) article on TheMuse titled 6 Things to Do Before Leaving Your Job.
I hadn’t thought about it much because I focus so much on forward-facing stuff, not what to do to tie up loose ends from a job you have left. But Leslie Moser is absolutely right. Her six things are (read her post to get more):
- Write a transition plan
- Archive, archive, archive (don’t archive information that is not yours, though)
- Figure out your health insurance (COBRA is a joke… it is SO expensive)
- Have an exit interview (be careful not to burn bridges in this interview, though!)
- Keep in touch! (I know this can feel very awkward)
- Plan a vacation (take some time, but NOT TOO MUCH TIME!)
A book I’ll recommend is Scot Herrick’s I’ve Landed My Dream Job – Now What??? This book helps you plan your first 30 days on the job, and includes thoughts on wrapping up well from your last job.
In the amazon review I love the person points out that Scot’s book helped her put together a 30/60/90 day plan… FOR AN INTERVIEW! So maybe this book is a great interview prep book… ?