One of the cool things about my career expert partners is that they are thought leaders in the career space. One of my partners, Louise Kursmark, is well-known as a thought-leader amongst her peers, recruiters, etc. She has the uncanny ability to combine the “very nice person” characteristic with astute businessperson. And she has a bunch of books that she has authored…
Her latest, 30 Minute Resume Makeover, is a great read. At only $9.95, this 200+ page book has a ton of valuable information for you to understand the how and why of an excellent resume. Louise includes a number of example resumes, picking them apart and explaining what makes them effective, what can be improved, etc. If you are a “do it yourself” type, I’d say this is an essential purchase.
The tagline is “Rev up your old resume in half an hour”… here are the chapters:
- Chapter 1: Resume Diagnosis
- Chapter 2: Resume Repair: The 30-Minute Resume Makeover
- Chapter 3: Proofread and Polish to Perfection
- Chapter 4: Before-and-After Resume Transformations (has 18(!!) resume transformations, including a situation, the before version, the after version, and strategic thoughts)
- Chapter 5: Create a Killer Cover Letter (this is an awesome chapter)
- Chapter 6: Find a Job Fast
- Appendix: Resume Development Worksheet
If I had this book, my resume probably would not have sucked, and I would have gotten a job in 2006 (thank goodness that didn’t happen :p).
If you want to find resume writing information on this blog, check out “The Resume Experiment,” a five-post series where resume experts and recruiters pick apart a resume and suggest their revisions. Louise Kursmark was one of the expert resume writers contributing there.